On the Beat in Bluffton

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ensuring a four-year degree in four years

Bluffton High School Principal Steve Baker is reporting that members of the Indiana Education Roundtable, whose opinions often influence education legislation and policy, are asking state universities and colleges to speed up education.

Particularly, they want these institutions to help more students seeking four- and two-year degrees to graduate in four or two years.

The roundtable cited the following statistics in its resolution to urge colleges to ensure students graduate on time.


Source: "Time is the Enemy" by the organization Complete College America

In voicing their support for more efficient education, members of the roundtable are endorsing a document created by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education that provides a "blueprint," officials say, for encouraging more to attend post secondary education more cheaply.

To read the blueprint, click here.

To read more about college graduation times, both at a state and national level, click here.

1 comment:

Sam said...

As a student who is on year 5 of a 4 year program I Can personally speak for those who "don't finish on time"

It's not easy, and the biggest reason is because the expectation to know what you want to be when you grow up, and literally execute that plan in 4 years is absolutely silly. I would argue that the vast majority of students switch majors at least once during their course of study. This can not only cause the stress "of setting the clock back" on finishing school but it also creates even more stress by making the student feel lost. Of my friends that I graduated with I'm one of the few left in school, because quite frankly many around me threw in the towel because of the pressure of "not knowing."

I think our society is simply changing. 30 or 40 years ago, everybody had a plan by 20 years of age, and now very few people do. I think it's the fact that our schools and our society spends too much time coddling students and playing up to bureaucracy. When I left High School I was not prepared to face college. Thankfully I took semester off to figure out what I should do. Some don't have that option though. They charge right into it due to parental pressure and fail. I've seen it time and time again.

The administrators need to be careful about trying to force arbitrary graduation time frames.