On the Beat in Bluffton

Monday, December 8, 2014

Runyon to seek re-election

Bluffton Clerk-Treasurer Tamara Runyon announced late last week her intentions to seek re-election in the municipal election in 2015.

Here is her announcement in full:

I would like to publicly announce that I will be seeking a third term as Clerk Treasurer.   In 2014, I became the first ever Bluffton Clerk Treasurer to receive my Certified Public Finance Administrator certification from the Association of Public Treasurers of the United States and Canada.  There are only a few Clerk Treasurer’s in the State of Indiana with this certification.  In 2013, I served as State President for IMPACT, the State Human Resource League.  I have represented third class cities as an executive member for the Indiana League of Municipal Clerk Treasurer’s for 6 years, and in June 2014, I was elected to serve as Secretary/Treasurer for the League.  Being in these associations and serving on these committees allows me to stay on top of changes being made at the state and national levels that have an impact on this City.

The position of Clerk Treasurer is an elected office along with the Mayor and Common Council and it answers to the taxpayers and State Board of Accounts.  This preserves the check and balance system necessary to our system of government.  The duties of the Clerk Treasurer are defined by State Statute, the directives of the municipal governing body with the law and the individual skills of the office holder.  No other elected municipal duties are as specifically defined by law as the duties of the Clerk Treasurer.   The Clerk Treasurer does not set policy; they just enforce the policies set by the Council, Board of Works, and both State and Federal Legislatures.  

As your Clerk Treasurer, I serve as clerk of the Board of Works and Council and prepare the minutes.  I type ordinances and resolutions, do research, safeguard and prepare records, help prepare bids/ads, legal notices, financial reports, and job openings.  I administer funds, budget preparation, annual reports for the yearly State audit, transfer funds, bank reconcilements, and prepare claims.  The Clerk Treasurer’s office also handles receipts, deposits, checks, fixed assets, permits, prepare payroll for all city and utility employees, prepare taxes, 1099’s, w2’s, verification of employment, employee service records, human resource, job descriptions, pension plans, and work closely with department heads.  The Clerk Treasurer’s office handles health insurance and all human resource functions as well as organizing the federal mandated drug testing.  The Clerk Treasurer must be familiar with laws and regulations pertaining to cities and towns which sometimes differ from private and business procedures.  In 2009 the budget for the Clerk Treasurer’s office was $116,386 and the 2015 budget is $116,352, this includes two years with raises.  We are able to run and operate the office on this low budget saving the taxpayers money through streamlining processes and new software technologies. 

I have been a citizen of Bluffton for most of my life.  This is the city I chose to raise my children in, and to live and work in.  I have been married to my husband Pat Runyon for 36 years and we have two daughters, Dr. Karena (Jason) Schroeder of Fort Wayne and Audrey (Nick) McAbee of Yorktown, Virginia and five grandsons.  I am a 1977 graduate of Bluffton High School and attended IPFW for accounting.   I have worked for the City of Bluffton for over 37 years, 24 years as a Deputy Clerk Treasurer and 7 as Clerk Treasurer and would be honored to continue to serve the citizens of Bluffton as your Clerk Treasurer.

No comments: