On the Beat in Bluffton

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

letter from a former student

Recently, Edward W. Bayouth, a lieutenant colonel in the US Army, donated a flag to Bluffton High School. He also sent a letter accompanying the flag. We have reproduced the text of letter below.

Dear Mr. Baker ~

Greetings from the Middle East. I just returned from a trip to Afghanistan and wanted to present Bluffton High School with this U.S. Flag that was flown at Forward Operating Base Shank in the Loghar Province of Afghanistan as a small and long overdue token of appreciation for the education I received there between 1983 and 1987. What I was taught and learned there has served me well while attending West Point and conducting the business of protecting our great nation.

Among the buzz of helicopters and the occasional incoming mortar, not a day goes by that for a brief moment I don't look back fondly at my time attending Bluffton High School. I recognized a few of the staff that was there almost 25 years ago when I graduated and would appreciate if if you could please pass my warmest regards to them. GO TIGERS!!

Sincerely,
Edward W. Bayouth,
Lieutenant Colonel, US Army
Chief, Postal Operations Division

No comments: